AOTY 2020
Justin Bieber - Changes
Jul 24, 2020
(Note: I accidentally deleted my old review so here's the closest I could do to rewrite it. RIP)

damn its super wild how the cover art predicted the colour of the overall score

Justin's vocals are definitely at some of his best; I won't lie; but it doesn't save how flavorless and dull this album is. It's not mind-blowing-ly awful, I mean sound wise it sounds decent but there's just nothing special about it since every track sounds nearly identical with the same generic R&B trap beat and the same "Check it out guys, I can sing!" vocals throughout the whole album. The sound does change up at some points with the more stripped back R&B tracks near the end, but that's all the album does. It changes. Hip hip hooray!

The lyrics are without a doubt some of Bieber's worst to date. I'm not saying he was ever an amazing songwriter, but it just feels like for someone who's now trying to make a name for himself as a grown-up R&B artist, he's not doing a great job at conveying those emotions. Like, if you're trying to convince us of your newfound adulthood with these lyrics:

"Shoutout to your mom and dad for making you,
Standing ovation, they did a great job raising you"

"Got me feeling giddy like, la, la, la, la (yeah)
Struck a match it got me litty like, la, la, la, la (it's lit)"

[Insert lyrics to Yummy here]

[Insert Lil Dicky's verse on Running Over here]

Then I think you're making things quite difficult for yourself. I don't know who on earth approved the Lil Dicky verse but what I can say is that it is one of the more memorable parts of the album so... congratulations?

Overall, Changes is just an incredibly by-the-numbers pop-flavoured R&B album that conveys as much artistic and personal growth as a character from Family Guy. Sure the sound of the album is mostly pleasant; in the sense that the production and vocals are well performed and mixed; but that's basically it. The parts that stood out the most about this album were the most laughably bad parts such as Yummy and Lil Dicky's verse, and that's really saying something. Aside from a few tracks near the end I'd say I mostly liked, this just feels like an album that'll be brought up in conversation like "Remember when Justin Bieber dropped an album in 2020?" "Oh yeah, he did too... huh."

favourite tracks: Get Me, Changes, E.T.A
least favourite: Yummy (Summer Walker Remix) (also why is Yummy on here twice?)

Summary: Too Boring To Be A Disaster
Jul 24, 2020