Tatsuro Yamashita - For You
Nov 8, 2019 (updated Nov 10, 2019)
[Genre: City Pop]

I'm not awfully familiar with Japanese music so I didn't pick up on many lyrics in this album, but what really made it for me was the really fun and vibrant sound of this album. The sound is jazzy, it's groovy, and it never fails to get you moving. The basslines are just incredibly funky. It feels exactly like a cover art, where you're strolling down a Japanese city on a bright, sunny day. I stole that from a different review but I'm including it here just cause it makes so much sense. Tatsuro's vocals are basically perfect on this album, and at this point it really doesn't matter if I can't understand the lyrics when his overall performance is just so great.

I think my favourite parts of this album though would be the first two tracks, Sparkle and Music Book. Sparkle is basically perfect. The backing singers during the chorus are amazing, and the trumpets and saxophone solo make the song so much more fun and jazzy. Music Book has such a fun chorus and and it's immaculately sung. While I don't think any other track reaches the heights they did, that doesn't make them any less good. If I had a few complaints, the tracklist can get a bit repetitive, but apart from this, For You is an amazing pop album, and an underrated gem you should check out.

favourite tracks: Sparkle, Music Book, Morning Glory, Futari, Love Talkin' (Honey It's You), Hey Reporter
least favourite: Loveland, Island

Summary: Amazing

I know for a couple of albums I've been doing albums that aren't officially listed as the genre on the site (for example, this doesn't have the City Pop genre yet), but eh. This genre was only just added to the site so I'll do this album cause yeah
Nov 8, 2019