Open Mike Eagle - Anime, Trauma and Divorce
Oct 17, 2020
I really liked a few tracks on here, especially "The Black Mirror Episode" - a song that really intrigued me for its topic and its eerie vibe which was an anomaly within this record.
Apart from the rare highlights, there isn't really much I can comment on besides saying that it is a boring record and a snoozefest. Open Mike Eagle reminds me heavily of Isaiah Rashad as they both bore me tremendously with their uncharismatic deliveries and Cloud Rap aesthetic. There's a difference between a vibey record and a tedious record and there are ways to make vibey music not sound boring. If your voice is really undistinguishable and vulgar and the production is ordinarily atmospheric, what is the appeal of a record like this?
There are glimpses of potential with both the production and Open Mike Eagle himself but they are so rare within a record that is only 12 tracks long that it is impossible for me to enjoy this. Occasionally the production is a lot more eerie or gives me something interesting to latch onto and paired with Open Mike Eagle's infrequent enthusiastic delivery it makes for some enjoyable tracks but for the most part, this project consists of just dull rapping with uninteresting production and irritating features from his son.
Overall, he isn't a bad rapper - his singing and flows are both decent but if there is absolutely nothing different about a record it just turns unlikeable.

Favorite tracks: Death Parade, The Edge of New Clothes and The Black Mirror Episode.
Least favorite tracks: Sweatpants Spiderman, Bucciarati, Asa's Bop, Everything Ends Last Year, Fifteen Twenty Feet Ocean Nah - Live from the Joco Cruise.
Rater's Tags