Benny The Butcher - Burden of Proof
Oct 16, 2020 (updated Oct 18, 2020)
Another week, another Griselda album. They are known for dropping lots of music lately and some would argue that they have been dipping in quality, however this is definitely not the case with this release. "Burden of Proof" is one of the best Benny The Butcher projects and one of the best from Griselda in general as well.
Benny The Butcher is probably my favorite out of the three Griselda frontmen since he acts as a great midpoint between the group - he's not as eccentric as Westside Gunn and perhaps not as lyrically sharp as Conway the Machine but he's the most consistent and borrows the best qualities from those two.
I'm glad Hit-Boy collaborated with him for this since the Griselda producers are starting to get a little repetitive and at this point I am looking for some more variety with Griselda releases going forward so this is a great starting point. The production on this record is really lush and borrows the Griselda jazzy, heavy sampled production style but Hit-Boy does manage to put his own spin on it.
Benny The Butcher seems to be the one out of the three that spends the most time on his craft and that definitely shows here, the features are a lot more rigorously spread across the tracklist and each track flows impressively well into the following. Also really strong lyrically, Benny The Butcher hits the nail on the head with this one, perfectly infusing the street themed raps with some more introspection within his song writing.
Features are mostly great on here as well, I just think Rick Ross underwhelmed me a little bit considering his feature track record, his verse wasn't bad I just was expecting a little more, especially since I thought the instrumental on "Where Would I Go" fit him really well. Benny The Butcher has one of his worst verses on that song as well and it's a shame since the track has what's possibly my favorite production on the entire record.

Favorite tracks: One Way Flight, Famous, Over The Limit, War Paint and Legend.
Least favorite tracks: Where Would I Go, Timeless and New Streets.
Rater's Tags
Oct 16, 2020
Great review! I was a bit underwhelmed by the album as a whole, but I still think it’s a solid listen.
You brought up a very good point, about him switching up the production style. I got to say that was really noticeable, probably the first Griselda album that diverted from their original production formula.
Oct 16, 2020
@PelicanManners thank you! the production is definitely some of the best from griselda.
you gave it 70 thought, doesn't that mean it's good?
Oct 16, 2020
Yeah I thought it was good, just a bit underwhelming. I guess I was expecting a project similar to Tana Talk 3.
Oct 16, 2020
@PelicanManners TT3 was a lot more grimy and this one was a lot more laidback. i like the variety though