Ichiko Aoba - アダンの風
Dec 2, 2020 (updated Jan 16, 2021)
This record was perhaps the most odd experience that I've had in 2020, not that the album in itself is necessarily strange but more the context surrounding it, this quickly became one of the most beloved and highly rated LPs amongst users, yet, personally, I get very little enjoyment out of it, which is something that rarely happens, and I'll try to go over as to why would that be.

Firstly, I'd like to draw a comparison to another hot take of mine, as honestly these two are my only really unpopular opinions, that being the clipping. album "Visions of Bodies Being Burned" and the only reason I'm bringing this into the discussion is because it is an effort that, despite being highly praised, I think is objectively bad. On the other hand, Ichiko Aoba's "アダンの風" or "Windswept Adan" is something that is not my cup of tea, but I still think is a record that, if looked through an objective lenz, is good.

Undeniably, the record's biggest flaw is its repetitiveness. Especially as a non japanese speaker, if the LP is playing in the background and I'm not paying too much attention to it, it comes off as incohesive endless humming. And while it being japanese doesn't influence much of my opinion, it is a slight inconvenience when added to subtle vocal approach. Anyhow, upon extra numerous listens since the day it dropped and having given my maximum awareness to it while playing, the album still sounds like neverending rambling in form of a 50 minute tune that is divided.

I must get this out of the way now, the only thing that changed with extra listens was my love and appreciation for the track "Porcelain", an absolutely stunning piece of art and an unquestionable highlight within the album's context, a tune that displays a rare cohesive song structure, parts that very distinctively repeat and add to its memorability, strong melodies and production that is a lot more varied, turning into the only song that thoroughly grabs my attention. However, even if my considerations towards that specific track have raised, everything else has reduced, as hearing the rest more and more have only made them become less relevant in my book.

A really pleasant experience if you have your mind turned off and rather calming to my ears, yet makes me sleepy if I'm completely focused on it. That is only due to Ichiko Aoba's impeccable, yet forgettable, vocal performances and the LP's careful folk production that sounds absolutely stunning, only if it wasn't looping continuously on most tracks. An instrumental's repetitiveness can be taken for granted on almost any release out there, except for a few masterpieces, so I don't want to sound like a hypocrite, but what really worsens the production is the union between that and Ichiko Aoba's calm and elusive vocals.

So, you can only tell that, despite my harshness on the original review for this record, my core thoughts haven't changed much. I was just frustrated to not be enjoying this as much as everyone else and I definitely overly focused my writing on the negative points. Those still stand but there was definitely more that had be said about the project's upsides.

As for more negatives, the record still stands as inarguably one-dimensional, splattered with consistently forgettable melodies, encompassing extensive instrumental passages, interludes, non songs and overall really drowsy spots that make it a hassle to get through, as half of the project are just cuts that are unfinished ideas.

It would be easy to sum up my thoughts on the album, it's just something that I understand the appeal of but doesn't exactly impress me in many regards. "Windswept Adan" supplies simplistic instrumental compositions and unenthusiastic vocal lines and just proves to be a rather unfocused effort.

Favorite tracks: Porcelain.

Least favorite tracks: Chi no Kaze.
Rater's Tags
: (

(This is my sad face btw)
@ParthanyJobtano i'm sorry :/
Dec 2, 2020
Friendship ended with Rater, eliiscool is new best friend
Dec 2, 2020
Nah but fr I respect you for speaking your mind despite what everyone’s saying

Also, you should check out the Statik Selektah project that just released
Dec 2, 2020
@Chode haha thanks man. i saw it when it released last friday but i didn't have much interested to check it out due to the amount of features
🥺
@soundworld @Flamingooooo sorry guys :(
Dec 2, 2020
@Chode @Rater yeah it’s a compilation album, made to showcase Statik’s production. I personally thought the album was okay, many of the features were disappointing though. Would be interested to see what you think about the album though.
daaaaang based rater
yep
Dec 2, 2020
added some extra thoughts and restructured the review in case any of you see this and care
interesting
Dec 2, 2020
Didnt expect this,Rater droppin bomb reviews out here
Dec 2, 2020
Honestly this isn’t that surprising knowing that you are very critical, we should’ve all seen this coming guys!
Dec 2, 2020
@okcomputer12127 you're waaay more critical than me and gave this an 87 so that should tell you something
@Scre4meh ty man
Dec 2, 2020
Rater coming in with that controversial opinion to make sure people dont fucking explode over all the green reviews they see
Dec 3, 2020
@Chode big up ichiko aoba simps
friendship ended
Dec 3, 2020
guys don't be mad, i'm just doing what had to be done
Dec 4, 2020
honestly, agreed...
never really found her interesting

then again Chamber Folk isn't something that's always worked for me so there's that...

either way great review and there is no need to be afraid of having your opinions
that's exactly what we want on this site...people's honest opinions
Dec 4, 2020
@A1t3rTheFreak thank you, i appreciate it. not afraid, i just know people don't like contrariant opinions, especially when it's the #1 album
Dec 8, 2020
Thank you for sharing your honest opinion and not just jumping onto the hype train
Disliked, unfollowed, and reported
Dec 8, 2020
jokes on you, you weren't even followed to begin with
Dec 8, 2020
fantano gave this album a 9 therefore your opinion is wrong and should be disregarded
Dec 8, 2020
you are now legally obligated to change your opinion as it has been proven wrong
Dec 9, 2020
@SMTCubes i guess i'm really alone on this one, dude even put porcelain as the worst track
Dec 9, 2020
Thanks for your candor, Rater. Criticism is always something to be appreciated, I think, especially when so-called "consensus" might risk closing off further conversation.
Dec 9, 2020
@pressrg thank you press, i appreciate that. i always try to give my honest opinion no matter what
Dec 9, 2020
@Riskr yeah LOL that was wack
Dec 9, 2020
@SMTCubes did you mean to ping @rater ?
lmao probably
bruh
@Riskr I'm too used to typing @Riskr LMFAOOO i hate myself
@SMTCubes self hatred gang 😎😎😎
Dec 26, 2020
ion think the use of "overrated" is applicable with this album tbh, i mean its probably just because i love it, but i think the appeal to it is extremely understandable
Dec 26, 2020
@nijakiler17 i actually don't like using that word at all so idk why i even did it but whatever. yeah i see the appeal, the album sounds gorgeous but it just bores me what else can i say
fair enough
Dec 28, 2020
I actually agree with this take.
Dec 28, 2020
@Ymer u're probably the only person on the whole planet who agrees with this
Jan 6, 2021