AOTY 2020
Megan Thee Stallion - Good News
Nov 20, 2020 (updated Nov 20, 2020)
Double-edged sword: the album.
Megan Thee Stallion is a household name by now and she has easily already established herself as one of the most polarizing rapstars in recent times and all her success is definitely deserved as she is capable of making hit. Not only is she capable of that but she can also rap way better than her peers, she's easily one of the best female trap rappers out there. Even though there's not much worthy competition, it's still a compliment.
I'd definitely want her to flourish into a much more mature version of herself. She showed immense potential on the opener "Shots Fired" as this track only proves that she can rap about more than just the stereotypical female rapper talk. This one is assuredly a highlight, as she delivers a slick diss track towards Tory Lanez, setting the tone for the whole record in an imposing way. Nevertheless, I'm going to guess she was probably pressured and cornered by her label into rapping about sex for the whole album or maybe she just wants to cash out on her popularity as much as possible as that's what appeals the most to her primary audience. This LP is clearly very mainstream accessible.
When I mentioned that this project was a "double-edged sword" I truly meant it and I perceive that expression to perfectly summarize my thoughts on the LP. There are some bangers on this, and they are more than a handful, in which Megan Thee Stallion showcases her flamboyant personality, her impressive flows and manages to incorporate her provocative bars in an appealing way in order to create captivating songs. These tracks don't totally dominate the album though and most of what's present on it are generic female rapper cuts with very little personality.
Most of the tunes that I consider inferior are not primarly held back by the lack of ear-grabbing performances but mainly by underproduced beats and lazily written choruses. For once on a trap record the production can't be described by the word "generic", but that also doesn't result in it being good. Nearly all of the instrumentals are so skeletal that they really hurt what could've been a great album, during it I found myself thinking in my head, time after time, that a track could've been great if only it had an instrumental of the same caliber along with it. There are even some memorable samples on some songs but rarely do their respective beats carry on the same quality. As for the choruses, I mean, just listen to "Body" and "Movie", you can't tell me those are good choruses. And those are just some examples, they rely on repetitiveness so often and are never introduced in a witty way. There are some inexcusably awful cuts on here.
I was still surprised by some of the versatility shown on "Good News", even if not much, Megan The Stallion delivers a few smooth melodic hooks and they go over very well with matching atmospheric production. "Don't Rock Me To Sleep" was a nice, well sang R&B track.
I don't consider the features to be all that, they are just on the record to match its potential commercial success, as they are all succesful themselves.
Altogether, it's an album with its flaws that delivers a half a dozen of memorable cuts and most of them appear at the end. Cut it in half and it's thoroughly awful.

Favorite tracks: Shots Fired, Circles, Work That, Don't Rock Me To Sleep, Outside, Savage Remix and Girls In The Hood.
Least favorite tracks: Cry Baby, Do It On The Tip, Sugar Baby, Movie, Body, Intercourse and Don't Stop.
Rater's Tags
Nov 20, 2020
Didn't like this album at all, wonderful review though! :)
Nov 20, 2020
Agreed, this really wasn't that impressive in my eyes. Good review.
Nov 20, 2020
@LyricalMiracleS Glad that we three can agree! :)
Nov 20, 2020
@Cry @LyricalMiracleS thank you guys!
Nov 20, 2020
I really thought it would be a good album, but I didn't like it, I would only highlight "Don't Rock Me To Sleep" and "Outside".
Nov 20, 2020
@Leo Aguilar i'd say every song in my favorites are solid bangers
Nov 20, 2020
Great review,wonder if this is actually good now,everybody mixed on this one.
Nov 20, 2020
@Scre4meh not good but definitely fills a niche. worth a listen though, as you'll take out of it atleast a handful of tracks
Nov 22, 2020
Good review N all, but that's not what the term double-edged sword means.
Nov 22, 2020
@AndreVital the google definition is literally something that is negative on one side and positive on the other, that's exactly what i said and what i meant. idk what u on about
Nov 22, 2020
@Rater Congratulations on getting the 'Popular This Week' badge! :)
@Cry thanks!
Nov 24, 2020
A double-edged sword is not when there are positives and negatives. It would be like if you said: "the production on X album is a double-edged sword, whilst the production is admirably abrasive and experimental, I think this abrasiveness causes the song structures to not be as comprehensive". In this review, you use the term "double-edged sword" as if it's like "this is what I like about the album, this is what I don't like". That's not how you use the term. When you use the term, double-edged sword, then you should point out one aspect and argue how they can be viewed positively, yet that very thing that you admire can also be negative. I'm not hatin' or nothing, just pointing it out.
Nov 24, 2020
@AndreVital i agree with what you're saying but i don't think the way i used it is inherently wrong. i know how to use it but i just threw the term out there and didn't even expand on it in this particular review. i didn't say that it was a double-edged sword because it was sometimes bad and sometimes good, it's more that megan's rapping and her flamboyant personality, as i mentioned, can sometimes come off as pleasant and other times as really repetitive. no grudges though or anything, thank you for pointing it out