Idles - Ultra Mono
Sep 27, 2020
7.2 - Quite Nice

Welp this is alright.

This is my intro to IDLES, and to be honest it could be better. Sonically it is absolutely phenomenal, and it can usually blow me away with it’s amazing use of guitar and drums, and Joe himself has a ton of energy. However this thing just doesn’t have any substance to it for some reason, probably due to its poor songwriting. And thats quite unusual for me, as I usually find how the music sounds to be more important but let’s keep going. Sometimes it can feel like Joe is just constantly trying to say something important or meaningful, but it just comes across as super sloppy or laughable. It’s like the musical equivalent to a cake, which looks super good, but when you eat it, it tastes like the most average cake mix. Idk if that sounds harsh but I still liked this (more sonically) but yea whatever.

Best tracks: War (actually phenomenal), Grounds, Mr. Motivator, Anxiety, Model Village, Carcinogenic, Dante

Least fav: A Hymn, Ne Touché Mas Poi
Sep 28, 2020
I gave this album a much higher score but agree with a lot of this review. However, JaaAoR (their second album) is much more substantive and is better in my opinion, so I'd definitely recommend listening to that
Sep 28, 2020
@SMTCubes yea I’ll probably try it I’m interested definitely. I might give this one another try too
Sep 28, 2020
@redbded totally. to me JaaAoR is Ultra Mono but better in almost every way (other than that this record is more hyper and energetic). loved this album but can't deny that JaaAoR is better.