Ashnikko - DEMIDEVIL
Jan 15, 2021 (updated Jan 16, 2021)
6.3 - Good

Well, this is my first review for a project that has come out this year! And that project I am reviewing is the new project from Ashnikko, DEMIDEVIL. I was looking forward to this one due to the promising singles, and even though I am disappointed, I still think that she has a ton of potential.

Firstly, Ashnikko herself. I do think she does a somewhat good job. She is able to stick out from most with her vibe and unique performance style. She has this raunchy style that I quite dig. However, I do think her songwriting could improve a little. She is good at making catchy hooks, but there are definitely lines throughout that make me visibly cringe on tracks like Slumber Party and Clitoris! The Musical, which is unfortunate. Also sometimes she gets unoriginal on tracks like Little Boy which give me a very strong Charli XCX sound, even if I still like it. However, I still think that for the most part it isn’t that bad. I just hope she can avoid the cringy lyrics, and have a little more of a distinct sound moving forward.

The production on here is also nice. I like how it ranges and is definitely creative, even if at times I would wish it went further or had more flare. I like how it ranges so much throughout the listen, even if it can get But for the most part, it is a very welcome addition to the album, and works well with Ashnikko’s voice. I also just hope in the future her production goes harder.

The features throughout didn’t add too much to the table, which was fine. But overall, DEMIDEVIL is a somewhat promising, although inconsistent and disappointing debut project, and I’m excited to see where she goes from here.

Best tracks: Daisy (fav), Toxic, Deal With It, Drunk With My Friends, Little Boy, Cry

Least fav: Slumber Party (the lyrics)
Comments