Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
Nov 2, 2020 (updated Mar 11, 2023)
8.7 - Phenomenal

I think I a s c e n d e d.

Merriweather Post Pallivion is my introduction to Animal Collective, as my friend who is super into the band recommended them to me. I am into psych pop a ton, and the album cover just hurt my eyes (in a good way), and I thought why don’t I check it out? And oh boy, I was not disappointed. This album is one of the most intoxicating, entrancing, and beautiful albums I have listened to in general. Sonically, it is basically perfect. Every track feels so intricately crafted, and so well made, it’s hard not to gush on about. Each track also builds up overtime, and there is so much awe in the climax and high points in every song that just feels so special. The vocals too are just so lush and gorgeous, with lyrics of love, and warm feelings being displayed, it really feels like a warm hug. Also I find it super cool how each song perfectly transitions into the next, making it feel like a collage of sound that is just a treat to the ear.

Great stuff Animal Collective. Great stuff indeed.

Best tracks: In The Flowers, My Girls, Also Frightened, Summertime Clothes, Daily Routine, Bluish, Taste, Lion In A Coma, Brother Sport

3y