Doc D - Planetory Destruction
Jan 22, 2021 (updated Feb 11, 2021)
8.0 - Great
This Logi—

I mean, Doctor Destruction mixtape is really good!

Well, this was a surprise, and I am very happy with it. Right before listening, I was talking to a few other people on the site, as this mixtape, named Planetory Destruction, came up in our conversation. I was very intrigued, as I thought Logic was done with music after the great No Pressure, but damn. This project might be one of his best as well!

Logic takes the form of Doctor Destruction, an ailen living in a vivid sci-fi world, in 2097. It’s similar to Madlib’s alter personality, Quasimoto, in the sense where it is a different “character.” And man, I really like this character. Taking inspiration from MF DOOM, Madlib, and maybe a little bit of Lil Ugly Mane, Doctor Destruction is able to create nostalgic yet futuristic beats relating to the subject of space easily, and it works quite well. There is lots of tasteful sampling done throughout, and it works super well with the theme. Lyrically, I absolutely adore the world-building and concept of this release. It is similar to Deltron 3030 in the sense where it revolves around a futuristic setting, but Doctor D is a rampant killer. He is destroying cities for revenge on his girlfriend, and as a whole, his personality is menacing and extremely fun, with bars that are mostly not corny. So that’s a plus. I also really like his flow throughout. Also the features through here amplify the album a ton, making the listen even more refreshing. I mean with features from Ghostface and Del The Funky Homosapien, what can go wrong?

I mean, I do have some complaints. Even if they are minor. Firstly, this album can sound a little derivative from DOOM’s sound and overall vibe with it’s structure and style, which is quite noticeable, but it never really bothered me. Also some of the skits or instrumentals can go on for a little long, as well as Logic slipping in a questionable bar, but other than that, I am very happy with Planetory Destruction. This might be my new favorite Logic project!

Best tracks: Planetory Destruction, Better Text Back, Double Sample, Backstory, Back to the Basement, Outer Space Gang, Butt Ass Naked (fav), Ready Player Gun, 20 Million Woolongs, Bounty Law

Least fav: Probably one of the Cosmic Radios but they were pretty nice