Mereba - The Jungle Is The Only Way Out
Jul 13, 2020
Recently, I went to my local art museum and was surprised by a relaxing Mereba exhibit showcasing this album's visual EP along with the Planet U and Sandstorm music videos. Shoutout to whomever was behind that; the tunes softly echoed to adjacent rooms and convinced me to become a member of the museum AND inspired me to listen to this album for what is somehow my first time, despite Black Truck being one of my top played tracks of the last couple years.

The highlights are many and sustained: Kinfolk's mid-chorus guitar that triggers the more intense harmonizing and hi-hats (a perfect example of the neo-soul meshing with folk influence), Highway 10 (a country song wearing an R&B mask), ALL of Get Free & Stay Tru (2 faves along with Sandstorm and it's perfectly melodic JID 'singing' feature), and a pleasant lullaby outro of Souvenir.

The lowlights are rare and nitpicky: some weird autotune on Highway 10, third verse vocals on Black Truck that don't quite feel meshed with the rest of the track (produced by 9th Wonder though!!!) , and a theme that doesn't quite carry all the way, though the album certainly feels cohesive. The spoken word interludes are acceptable, though they work much better on the visual EP than this.

Ultimately, this album further solidifies 2019 as an all-time year for the female 'R&B' artist (4 me).
Jul 13, 2020
Samthony Roewtano here...
Good review for this beautiful record!
Tsareena