Fall Out Boy - Infinity on High
Jul 30, 2021 (updated Nov 14, 2021)
Didn't remember this being worse than "From Under the Cork Tree"

This record is very... bland. I don't know, I kinda feel as if this album just works as the victory lap after hitting it big with their previous effort. This album basically takes everything from the last album, but goes into an even poppier direction, making catchier hooks and more radio-friendly tracks for the time (and currently too, taking into account how much popular music is taking from this genre).

I don't know man, I think I kinda want to like this album, there are some decent moments here and there, there's "The Carpal Tunnel Of Love", which brings back a lot of memories from the band's debut, and maybe even giving this slight hint of what would go on to be the band's other good album aside from "Take This To Your Grave", "Folie á Deux". It has this very intense atmosphere, including these screamed vocals from Pete Wentz, and it has a very catchy chorus that's easily the best moment on this whole album. I also want to mention "Hum Hallelujah", if I'm not mistaken, this is a more personal song due to a certain problem that Pete Wentz lived through, I think associated with drug addiction, but take my words with a grain of salt. This song also feels very similar to something that, you guessed it, "Folie á Deux" since in that album themes like this are addressed from beginning to end. Then... maybe ""The Takes Over, The Breaks Over"" is ok? I like the chorus there, I think the vocals are pretty decent there, but, there's not much else to say.

Then, the rest isn't worth it at all. I respect this exploration into more pop-sounding music, especially on tracks like "I'm Like a Lawyer...", or the closer, "I've Got All This Ringing In My Ears...", which please, let's just mention how much that song sucks as a closer, it isn't emotional and it doesn't bring all of the ideas presented here a proper ending. There are other moments like "Thnks fr th Mmrs" or "Bang The Doldrums" which are songs I simply can't stand, FOB has their fair amount of annoying songs, and these are some of them, my god, why are these instrumentals so bland and boring? Also, this album just fails at being emotional. I get it with "Folie á Deux", even in "From Under the Cork Tree", but here? That emotion just feels so artificial man, I listen to let's say, "Golden", that song sounds like Fall Out Boy trying to make their own version of MCR's "Cancer", and the lyricism is simply so bland and boring and uninteresting and horrible and oh my god, this sucks.

Really boring record, with some high points but that's it, like, I swear I don't get how I could even call this one of the only good moments in Fall Out Boy's career. At least we have a great follow-up to this, and I'm sure that without this project there wouldn't be any of the greatness there is in that one, but either way, "Infinity On High" just isn't great, and there's nothing else I can say apart from, don't listen to it, it's not even worth it.

Comments