The Buggles - The Age of Plastic
May 7, 2021
"The future is now, old man"

So, a couple of days ago I stumbled upon this Instagram post about "albums that described historical events". There were albums like "To Pimp a Butterfly" or "ITAOTS", but one of them caught my attention, 1980s "The Age of Plastic" by The Buggles, an album that talked about technology taking over. Not just that, it mentioned that 1-hit wonder, "Video Killed the Radio Star", a song that I remember from my childhood because of Just Dance 3, which well, I wasn't crazy about, in general, I didn't even like that song or that game... whatever, nostalgia is nostalgia.

I decided to give a listen to the album, and to my surprise, it was good. I didn't feel crazy about it, like at all, but it was a nice experience with a fair amount of highlights, although it's more than obvious that it came from the 80s.

The first thing that comes to mind when I think about it, is the amazing lyrics. It talks about a futuristic world, and I know, I know, just by reading the titles you know that this thing is all about that. But, the futuristic sound of the album alongside the themes about robots, telephones, and television create an amazing atmosphere that, to be honest, I loved. I really like it when albums try giving a look at the future, and this is really unique and special.

I also have to say, I didn't expect so many songs to be so enjoyable. As someone that doesn't really love "Video Killed the Radio Star", which is the flagship song of the record, I can't believe I got to enjoy "Kid Dynamo", "I Love You (Miss Robot)", "Elstree" and "Johnny on the Monorail" as much as I did, for as much as the age does show on them, they're totally fine for what they are, and I can't believe that said songs didn't make the impact that "Video Killed the Radio Star" did.

But well, as I mentioned, I do think the age of this album shows, and I'm more than sure that even by the end of the 80s, this sound was already labeled as old, and even if it's because of future artists taking this sound and expanding on it, I still think it sounds way too dated. But still, it depends on whoever listens to this, I know that 80s music is really enjoyed by many people, so I guess it really depends on the way you view the genre and decade to determine if this is negative or positive.

Either way, yeah, I love the approach and although the final result doesn't really stick with me, I won't deny that I had a great time with this album on! Check it out if you like 80s music or if you want to dedicate a song to your robot girlfriend.

Comments