Fall Out Boy - Folie à Deux
May 13, 2021
The best Fall Out Boy album, and it's not even close

Woah, I didn't remember this album being as great. I mean, I'm wondering how I even gave this thing a 74, this album is the band's peak, in every way possible.

They leave behind the whiny and repetitive moments from their previous three albums, Patrick Stump shows off his voice on each one of the tracks in here, and even when they do become a bit exaggerated on certain songs, I can't deny how much I enjoyed them. The lyricism is also top-notch, it retains the personal and emotional themes, but, I like the pessimistic tone given to them, it makes everything on the record sound all the more unique, the perfect example of this is the song "20 Dollar Nose Bleed", my favorite track on the album with the best feature in any song from Fall Out Boy, Brendon Urie... yeah I dislike him, but back in 2008 he was still great, and he adds something so very unique to the track, I can help but love it.

Talking about unique, I love how this album sounds. It isn't the most revolutionary sound ever, but comparing it to the sound of all of the previous FOB records, the pop-rock/power-pop tone to this record is exactly what I wanted and the kind of sound I love. It's really a shame that they would never pick up on this sound again...

And even when I'm really praising the record, I do think that there are some throwaway moments on the tracklist, and even inside songs that I think were good. The first track that comes to mind is the closer, "West Coast Smoker", this is the song that's the most reminiscent of their previous efforts, and... I guess that's why I don't like it. Sure, it's not bad just... not as good as it could be. Then, there's "What a Catch, Donnie", and look, I do like this track, but Patrick's vocals just don't really work for me, but, the chorus is great so at least that makes up for the sound of the vocals during the verses.

Either way, these couple of moments just aren't enough to take away the greatness of some others in here. The absolute best songs from FOB are here. There's the already mentioned "20 Dollar Nose Bleed", "(Coffee's For Closers)", which won't get off my mind because of that refrain "I will never believe in anything again", there's "27", "Headfirst Slide...", "America's Suitehearts", good god, this album is just filled to the brim with such amazing songs.

This is amazing, and it's such a shame that this album doesn't get the recognition it deserves, it shows Fall Out Boy at their most vulnerable but also at their most likable, with the best-sounding instrumentals and vocals in their entire discography. This is the album you have to check out from this band, this is it.

Comments