AOTY 2022
Fall Out Boy - From Under the Cork Tree
Aug 2, 2021 (updated Oct 3, 2021)
UUUUUGH NOT THIS ALBUM. I dread talking about this one because every time I have to explain why I really am not a fan of it, words simply stop flowing, but ok, I'll try.

This album is seriously way too boring and generic. I really appreciate the singles here, since I believe they show everything that Fall Out Boy once did well: catchy and fun bitter songs about girls. "Dance, Dance" has one of the catchiest hooks the band ever made, "A Little Less 16 Candles..." is probably my favorite track from the band, and "Sugar, We're Goin Down" is a flagship song of these times.

And... that's it. I think the lyricism is pretty decent in here, but there's not much else, the album stays with the exact same sound, exact same whiny vocals that after the singles stop being charming and by the end, I think the record just falls apart with the members of the band no longer knowing what they're doing, taking on this more dark and "ugly" tone that if you ask me, just sucks.

Boring album with fine ideas here and there that's saved from being a 40 because of the singles, honestly, to me, this record is further proof that FOB was never really all that great aside from their debut and "Folie á Deux", which I must tell you, are the only two records you should ever hear if you want to listen to this band.

Comments