Swans - Soundtracks For The Blind
Mar 8, 2019
This is some of the most mind-expanding music I think I've ever heard, granted. Also, just how ambitious and confident can a band be in order to put out something of this lenght?

Given the title, I truly tried to vicariously envision the unfortunate experience of being deprived of sight and being guided through the world and the spectrum of human emotion merely by this album's sonic composition. Not comfortable.
This album is emotionally raw, the dialogue interludes only contribute to the dismal feel of the reality portrayed. The combination of stylistic elements is almost perfect at all times, some bits I don't care for, but that's just a preference among the different genres this record pulls from.

Drones are shimmering and still dense, vocals are dreary and haunting at times, hopeful and soothing in other instances. The composition is much more post-rock then post-punk or bordering noise-rock, there's a sense of movement and sectioning in each track, of wallowing in a certain emotion only to the point of suddenly being overwhelmed by another divergent and unnavoidable thought that takes a hold of you and changes your whole state of existence for the next 5 minutes.

GO LISTEN TO: I Love You This Much.
Comments