Twenty One Pilots - Cancer
Apr 12, 2021
This is the most overhated song in their discography. I'd rather listen to this song 15 times in a row than listen to self-titled in full.

I'm dead serious with my rating. This song is a great cover and is so overheated.

The most common criticism I hear about this song is that it took a beautiful song and ruined the emotion with an electronic beat. When this song first came out, people acted like the original was the best song ever written, and the original, honestly, is just ok. I don't understand. Tyler sings with a hopelessness that is missing from the original song and the beat, while electronic, has a beautiful atmosphere. People act like the piano ballad that is the original was the most emotional thing ever, but it's not that great in my opinion. The emotion that the song has is not dependent on the fact that it had real instruments. Tyler Joseph's rendition is so underappreciated.

The production here is fantastic. It sounds hopeless and almost lifeless, which makes sense for a song about cancer. The atmosphere and beautiful synths shoot the climax of this song to the moon, as it brings the song a final bit of hope before ending in an unsure or unsteady way.

I understand if people who loved the original hate this song. I understand if you find some of the pitched vocals to be tacky, but in my opinion, this song has a beauty in its lifelessness and has its own personality.

I prefer this over the original.
Apr 12, 2021
i was ok with this opinion until the last sentence
What the fuck.

That last sentence is a literal crime.
Apr 12, 2021
@chode did you just unlike my review LMAOOOOOO
Apr 12, 2021
I will not stand for this Cancer slander.
Apr 12, 2021
I agree that this is kinda overhated but no way is it even close to the OG
Apr 12, 2021
@chode haha TOP cover go brrrrrrrrrrrr
Apr 13, 2021
(my shoutbox does not freaking work so i am commenting here)

my caard is magical right hahah
the “only fans” link is a link to the instant crush music video
@mirroredcomfort OH HAHA THATS SO GOOD
Apr 13, 2021
my friend, i think you need to sit down and listen to the black parade
Apr 13, 2021
tyler may sing with a static hopelessness, but gerard's vocals are pained and frustrated
@halbery I’ve listened to the original and prefer this yes I know I need help
Apr 14, 2021
no bro, the whole album bro
Apr 14, 2021
@halbery I’ve listened to about half of it the title track is one of the best songs ever written
damn right it is
Apr 14, 2021
i was ok with this opinion until the last sentence (2)
@parthanyjobtano YOUR BACK
Apr 14, 2021
Definitely overhated. I don't really care for the cover itself but I have to agree, I love the atmosphere. Coming from someone that loves The Black Parade and by extension, MCR, Cancer is a pretty alright song but it's really overrated. Everyone thinks Gerard sang with heart and emotion but I honestly thought his singing on the song was just annoying.
Apr 14, 2021
@jimmylikesmusic RIGHT?? He’s so whiny in that song.it doesn’t fit the song’s mood or vibe
Apr 15, 2021
i hate the last sentence
HOWEVER this is a very brave review so you earn many points
Apr 24, 2021
okay okay okay don’t agree that this is better, but I think this is actually a fairly interesting and atmospheric and experimental song that has a different take on the source material. I actually used to prefer this then The Black Parade became my favorite album of all time.
Apr 24, 2021
@implicitdoom this makes up for your Take on nurture

Good take