Death Cab For Cutie - We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes
Aug 13, 2018
After the muddled recording of "Something About Airplanes," "Title Track," obviously the first track on "We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes" breaks into clarity halfway through. This change makes all the difference in Death Cab's first very good album, the one that feels like Death Cab not screwing around anymore. Listening to this right after "Something About Airplanes," that break into clarity also feels like the band finally breaking the code on who they should become.

"405" might be the band's first truly great song, with a playful opening guitar intro that reminds of the best Death Cab songs, almost two decades after its release. "Company Calls" and its direct sequel, "Company Calls Epilogue" show the emotional power that Death Cab can grasp and the inventiveness and storytelling that made Death Cab indie greats.

But, aren't "Lowell, MA" and "Company Calls" essentially the same song? I swear, the rhythms and cadence had me slipping into singing the other song, purely because of similarities. "Company Calls" is vastly superior, especially since it's the first time that we've heard Ben Gibbard sound animated in any way. That's not a jab at him, but it is an exciting development again in the emotional development of Death Cab, rather than just relegating the band to emo status.

After "Something About Airplanes," "We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes" shows that Death Cab is a band constantly improving upon itself (at least for now) and it's impossible not to see their growth from tame emo indie act into bonafide stars on the rise.
Comments