Måneskin - RUSH!
Jan 20, 2023 (updated Jan 20, 2023)
It might just be the fact that I don't speak or understand Italian so it comes off as more palatable when the music is the only thing I can judge on first listen, but Måneskin works really well when they stick to an energetic punk sound and EXCLUSIVELY speak in Italian.
However, they leave this Italian-only formula and make a complete English-only turnaround on RUSH! on 14/17 tracks, leaving you with a messy album chock full of questionable cringy lyrics, unfortunate mixing, and commercialized track structures that just leave me bored.

RUSH! doesn't know what it wants to be either: The tracklist randomly jumps from slow ballads to pop-punk snippets, and weak attempts to appear "edgy" and "loud" even when you can't hear the fucking drums in the mix. Things are too damn quiet within an album that's supposed to be high energy. What's even more unfortunate is that there is potential in some of these tracks ("GASOLINE"'s got a decent guitar solo moment at the end, "MARK CHAPMAN"'s hook is genuinely fun and good). I just feel like this album remains too directionless and safe most of the time. Not to mention there are some really awful tracks too that completely take me out. (Looking at you BLA BLA BLA and KOOL KIDS).

I don't know man. They peaked in Eurovision.
FAVS: MARK CHAPMAN

15MAMMAMIA / 50
16SUPERMODEL / 45
17THE LONELIEST / 50
1w
Bla Bla Bla and Kool Kids were really horrendous...
mamma mia
1w
I think they should stick to making music in Italian ig