Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
Mar 7, 2019
This album, differently from the sample-heavy Paul's Boutique, takes a different aprouch by chosing to use more real instruments and also the B-Boys getting back to their origins from the hardcore punk scene. That said, I think the rock elements here are WAY better than they were in their debut, but also, there are moments that it doesn't work that well and it just seems like they are dragging out songs without going nowhere like some kind of filler with non-lyrics, which are not even bad, they are, in general, pretty decent rockass funky instrumentals, but sometimes they just seen out of place.
Other thing that it also seems kinda weird for me, is that in this LP, in some songs they took a more serious tone than their previous records, and this can be either good or bad. It's intereasting to see the boys spitting some "real" bars and get away from their ironic style from their previous LPs (especially in Licensed To Ill, where there are moments that REALLY didn't age well) and actually making some pretty decent statements, but there also times that they just fail and sound corny, like in the song Pass The Mic, where one of the boys says "Be true to yourself and you will never fall" and I can't help myself, but cringe hard in moments like that.
But besides some moments like that, I still think it's a pretty solid record and worth a listen, and a improve from the sound of their first record, with some new elements too.
Comments