Denzel Curry - Melt My Eyez, See Your Future
Mar 25, 2022
Is Melt My Eyez, See Your Future better than TA13OO? Probably not. Is it a step in the right direction although it’s not completely an improvement? Absolutely.

As Denzel Curry said himself, this album was made while his mental health improved, so no matter what he delivered I would be happy for him. I went into this record expecting a masterpiece due to the incredible feedback from the singles. When I first listened, I was a bit underwhelmed, but that’s only because I had such high expectations. I noticed how unique it sounded which is nothing new for the rapper. Throughout every project, Zel seems to capture a different style almost every time, making his discography diverse for any and every mood. I also noticed how comfortable he sounds. In previous projects such as TA13OO and ZUU, Zel sounded absolutely hungry. I’m not saying he doesn’t sound ruthless on this new project, but he seems to have found a sense of tranquility, but he wants to mix every mood into this record instead of being more cohesive.

No matter how high my expectations were, Zel yet again provided a well manufactured project. The most important factor about this record is it’s replay value. I could listen to this all day despite the little things I critique. It was nice to hear JPEGMAFIA’s production on “John Wayne”. Although the track isn’t anything special, Peggy never stops to provide fantastic instrumentals. To be fair, I probably would’ve preferred to hear him on that beat in particular. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I heard the star sound effect at the beginning of “Ain’t No Way”. I was a underwhelmed by the chorus, but the verses were absolutely highlights. Rico Nasty did her thing, JID and Zel ride the beat as it slows, and they send amazing as usual, and 6LACK was a perfect fit for the intro. There’s so much going on that it’s hard to wrap my head around. I heard many hints of Saba and Noname in the more melo tone cuts. “Melt Session #1”, “Mental”, and “The Ills” are the prime examples of this. Once again, Zel sounds very comfortable. He seems to know what he wants to say, and he doesn’t have to force it. Maybe he made this album as a message to his fans that he’ll be okay, but that’s just my take.

There’s definitely certain tracks that need time to grow on me, but I’m not worried. Many of the choruses let me down, but regardless, Zel delivered for the most part to save the tracks that needed an extra punch. Denzel Curry stays consistent once again, and this record leaves me satisfied with what he brought to the table. This could definitely be considered one of the best rap albums of the year, but it’s too early to tell. I’ll definitely be returning to this record.

Comments