AOTY 2021
Kanye West - Donda (Deluxe)
Nov 14, 2021 (updated Nov 18, 2021)
Taylor who?

I don’t like to think about Donda for the flaws. The important part for me was the listening parties. Hearing those songs back to back to back was just an experience of a lifetime. And the fact that there was three events to hear the progression of the album change so quickly is unheard of. I’ll talk a bit more on the deluxe.

Never Abandon Your Family wouldn’t be a track I would really return to, but during the listening party it was beautiful to have it work so well with the album and the story behind it. Up From The Ashes felt like a morning sunrise. Less of a “Wake up Mr. West!” and more of a smooth gospel track that I would definitely return to. Life of The Party was incredible on first listen when the leak dropped. Even though Kanye changed his verse, there’s something special about that Andre verse that makes me feel like honestly no other verse has made me feel. It questions life itself, and it makes me think about my past and my future at the same time. An all time great feature if you ask me. Keep my Spirit Alive Pt 2 was just the OG with Kaycyy, and to be honest I like the Kaycyy chorus more than Ye’s, so I’m happy it’s back. Remote Control Pt 2 I could care less for because I didn’t like the song in the first place. I’m happy for the Cudi fans though.

Donda Deluxe’s track list order change was very strange, but it didn’t effect how I felt about the record itself. I still think this album had the best rollout ever, and it goes down as one of my favorite if not my favorite Kanye album.
Nov 14, 2021