Drake -  Honestly, Nevermind
Jun 17, 2022 (updated Jun 17, 2022)
Black Midi has some competition πŸ‘€
Edit: Why did he bark at me??? 😭

After Certified Lover Boy, it’s obvious that this record will receive major hate no matter what. Many people claim that Drake has been making the same type of music since Views, but no one has that unique sound that Drake brings to the table. Although this record doesn’t sound iconic, it has a charm. Hear me out.

Despite the track Currents, which is absolutely hilarious, Drake’s production always sounds rich. He never fails to keep me engaged despite having simple verses. The club sound reminds me a lot of Dawn FM, but it’s obviously different in many ways. Abel has a much stronger singing voice, so that balances with the rich production. Drake’s ability to rap and sing works well with the production in particular on this record.

Intro got me into the Drake element right away. The jump scare into the second track was an interesting choice, but that’s just how it is. Falling Back is long, but after listening a second time, it doesn’t bother me whatsoever. The transition into Texts Go Green made me think of Dawn FM right away. The barking was a bit strange, especially because he’s a grown man, but the song is pretty good as a whole. It reminds me a lot of the More Life sound, and that’s my favorite Drake album, so this was absolutely enjoyable for me. Currents is a meme. The Billy Bounce bed squeaking noise is so funny, but Drake does his thing, and it sounds rich as always, so I’m not complaining. When I was a minute into A Keeper, I started to realize that this was the vibe that the whole record would stick to, and I was fine with some of the tracks sounding the same. Calling My Name is the first track that I genuinely thought he was taking it 100% seriously. Then halfway through I was laughing so hard when I heard those saturated vocals. Idk what he was going for, but it’s funny, and that’s better than boring. Sticky was the first rap heavy track. Drake sounds like he’s in his comfort zone. Whatever those beautiful sounds are in the background of the beginning of the track are pure gold. Massive had me excited for the rest of the record, as the past 2 tracks were great as well. Massive seems like a successful use of a Calvin Harris type beat. Despite the track changing multiple times, Drake is having fun, and he’s in his feels. He pulls off setting both tones in the same track extremely well. Drake is back in his feels on Flight’s Booked. Not much has changed, but the cohesion is great. It doesn’t seem like a bunch of tracks thrown together in a random order. Overdrive and Down Hill both pull off the fun and sad tones. Tie That Binds has a guitar that Drake has never really tried to work with, so this is a first for him. His vocals sink into the production, creating a transcendental experience. Liability is the perfect example of that. If you’re looking for bars or an insane beat drop, you’re going to be disappointed. Just zone out and enjoy it for what it is. Jimmy Cook’s is the only “Drake” track on this record to be completely honest. Drake and 21 sound just as hungry as they were on Knife Talk. This was a perfect way for the album to close. After 13 chill club songs, this track had me sitting up. The beat switch was great as well. Both parts of the song were equally strong.

I don’t care that the ratings are low. I don’t care that this album is going to be hated all over social media. This is great. It’s hard to say where this will rank in Drake’s discography, but time will tell. For the time being, I’m happy with this record.

1w
yeah you mean imagine dragons?
1w
bruh when he barked on Texts go green i legit lost my shit ahaha
"sonido único" y procede a compararlo con Dawk FM XD
amazing review ryan <3 honestly, nevermind hits the spot
1w
leave black midi out of this
[hidden]
1w
"no one has that unique sound that Drake brings to the table"

Why would anyone want to have this sound though.
1w
I disagree but I love how bold you were with the score
Respect, I agree
1w
It sounds like a corpse smells
1w
I absolutely do not like this record
1w
But I respect your review and your opinion. You seem to really like it.
[hidden]
1w
Black Midi will wipe the floor with Drake and his stupid boring ass
1w
"After Certified Lover Boy, it’s obvious that this record will receive major hate no matter what" I love that that's the way it starts, because it's true. I don't think anything will make people see Drake as good again, maybe a collab album with Kanye or something, but this is the best it could get in terms of a different sound.
1w
I don't have an issue with Drake himself, I even enjoyed part of CLB quite much tbh. I get your point though, I don't think this album was a bad idea how it was planned, but the issue I have is it feels more than rushed, the production feels so damn saturated, it sounds bad, my headphones are nice and it's unbelievable that on those fucking things the bass to sound so saturated, it sounds like dust, like I downloaded it recorded from a random phone on LimeWire.
1w
Did you actually say that black midi has competition to thisπŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
1w
You can enjoy the record as much as you want but please don't even compare it to black midi thanks
4d
Have any opinion or take you want, don't let these mf's tell you not to compare it to black midi.
3d
the black midi comparison. hahhahahaha
2d
black midi fans when someone else has an opinion: πŸ˜‘πŸ˜€πŸ€¬πŸ˜‘πŸ‘ΏπŸ˜–πŸ˜ΎπŸ˜ πŸ˜‘
2d