Fall Out Boy - Take This to Your Grave
Oct 10, 2020
THE FALL OUT BOY BINGE (1/7)

Fall Out Boy has always been one of those artists that I've said is trash on many occasions, but I had never listened to any of their albums to back that up. So to avoid being a hypocrite for any longer I have decided to listen to all seven of their studio albums.

Starting out with Take This to Your Grave, I already get the feeling I'm not gonna have a good time here. While I can't call it particularly bad, there's very little about it I can actually call good. The production and performances are solid, the song Saturday is pretty enjoyable and that's about it. The songwriting is largely forgettable and riddled with that early 2000's emo pop punk sentences-being-sung lyrics that mostly feel pretty awkward, and I'm just straight up not a fan of Patrick Stump's vocals. He sounds like the vocalist of every other band of FOB's ilk. I don't care that they did it first or they popularized it or whatever, it's still pretty grating. Every once in a while Pete Wentz joins in on backing vocals with these surprisingly intense growls, but they never really mesh that well with the songs even after they've been washed out with reverb and shunted off to the side.

Overall, not a very promising debut, but I guess I could've expected a lot worse.

Favourite track: Saturday