The Twilight Sad - It Won/T Be Like This All the Time
Jan 20, 2019
It took me exactly 3 listens to realize, that The Twilight Sad had just released an absolute banger of a record. "IT WON/T BE LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME" is filled with electrifying post-punk/indie rock songs which are very well made, completely infectious and have the tendency to sound better with every listen!

~
I was incredibly pleased with how this LP turned out. The first couple listens were quite enjoyable, but I didn't really feel like I "got" the record yet. Of course the sound was very pleasing to the ear - a nice blend of synths, guitars and drum loops which create a really smooth groove and an engaging atmosphere. It reminded me quite a lot of Radiohead. The heavy Scottish accent took me a little bit to adjust to as well. But man this thing clicked eventually and I think it's safe to say I absolutely LOVE this record.

It flows superbly, there are so many fantastic chord progressions and catchy hooks... this album has a lot going for it. It sounds sightly experimental as well, but only slightly with some of the loops such as on the track [10 Good Reasons for Modern Drugs], but only slightly. This otherwise is a pretty straightforward indie rock record, with straightforward lyrics and direction. If you're even remotely a fan of the genre - it's a pretty safe bet you'll like this LP too.

Songs like "Auge/Maschine" and "Let/s Get Lost" are infectious and use dynamics superbly to deliver some really high impact transitions and passages. I love the atmosphere of this record - it feels like it could be the soundtrack to some futuristic film where the machines roam among us. Despite that there is also something about it which is nostalgic to me and reminds me quite a bit of early 2000s Mogwai. It's a record you can dance to, think to, vibe to and rock out too. Hopefully it keeps it's magic in the future and sounds just as good.
~

Fav Tracks: [10 Good Reasons for Modern Drugs], The Arbor, I/m Not Here [missing face], Auge/Maschine, Girl Chewing Gum, Let/s Get Lost, Videograms
Least Fav: Sunday Day13