The Delines - The Imperial
Jan 13, 2019
"The Imperial" works best as something to put on the background, as the album offers some very well made slow country ballads. However the album's storytelling sometimes feels very generic and uninspired, despite being coated in fantastic instrumentation and arrangements.

~
A very modern country album, "The Imperial" is a straightforward collection of songs rooted in self-reflection. The album is mostly enjoyable with good opening songs like the title track and "Where are You Sonny?" but quickly loses a lot of it's charisma throughout the middle section of the album with bland and boring tracks like "Roll Back my Life" and "Holly the Hustle" which are quite forgettable.

This album is nothing that you haven't heard before. It's got a very relaxed approach to it and I actually like it in the sense of it works well in the sense of relaxing, chill out music. The lyrics aren't anything too deep or meaningful either in my opinion or at least isn't delivered in a way that's too emotionally potent. Some of the tracks and chord progressions are incredibly generic as well such as the song "Eddie & Polly" which I felt very lukewarm towards. I do have to give the band some props for actually constructing a well flowing and coherent (almost conceptual) 10 track album - that doesn't feel like it overstays it's welcome and drag on. There is a very nice progression which I quite appreciate. Also I really like that it sounds and feels quite retro with a very nice jazzy touch to it. It's prone to induce some nostalgia and I have a soft spot for albums that can do that quite honestly.

Altogether, I wasn't really too impressed with this album overall of what it really had to offer to the genre in general, but at the same time I enjoyed it for what it was and can see myself playing this in the car or in the background as I find the general mood and tone of the album quite appealing. There is just something -- like a spark of innovation that is lacking here. However as far as a country album goes, I'm inclined to give it a thumbs up as it manages to make a country album in 2019 actually very pretty (considering how strong the ballads are), likeable and radio appealing.
~

Fav Tracks: The Imperial, Where Are You Sonny?, The Old Haunted Place, Waiting on the Blue
Least Fav: Holly the Hustle

Ghettobaby
Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
Weyes Blood
Titanic Rising
Billie Eilish - WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?
Billie Eilish
WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?