Papa Roach - Infest
Feb 21, 2021
THE NU METAL CHALLENGE PART 6/25

We were this close to getting out of the red. THIS CLOSE.

Unfortunately, Papa Roach does not end our streak of shitty albums that we are forced to cover in this series. And the only reason this really fails to stick the landing is because of what I'm now calling the "Limp Bizkit" effect. Basically, this entails that a band has bangers for instrumentals and has the potential to make great songs, but the one thing stopping them is their lead singer being really fucking unlikable and ruining numerous songs. This is the biggest sin Papa Roach commits.

Across this album, Jacoby Shaddix dishes out some joker-core "we live in a society" rap verses and then proceeds to go all "generic nu-metal band sort of whines a little off key for a few minutes #4454" once the chorus comes over some mean guitar riffs. It never works out (except for the chorus of last resort - that shits cool). Instead of making me think, it just makes me laugh at the pathetic attempts to be "woke" I guess. Which is unfortunate, since Jacoby tries to cover serious topics like abuse and suicide here on this album. He just tackles them in the most unlikable and over-the-top way.

At the end of the day, we have the chorus of last resort. That's really about it.

Comments