Low - Hey What
Sep 10, 2021 (updated Sep 10, 2021)
Three years after the release of Low's most career-redefining album "Double Negative" (which sports their best cover), we get their third outing w BJ Burton.

"HEY WHAT".

Ofc, I could drone on and on like everyone else whenever some exciting and anticipated album drops on AOTY. Cause that always happens. And it's filled with numerous paragraphs. So I'll instead talk about my experience leading up to this.

When "Days Like These" hit as a single, I was unsure of what to think about this direction. I thought they were returning to their slowcore roots, but instead... they mixed that with the noise of DN.

Then "Disappearing" hit, and omg. It's far and away one of Low's vest songs ever. And the length just hits perfectly, along w the overwhelming over-compressed walls of distortion Burton and Low create. Textured swaths of bass frequencies, and above all... the harmonies of Sparhawk and Parker still remain.

"More" just solidified my thoughts on this being even better than DN.

And now that it's here... this is a really different project. There's more electroacoustic moments here, and it all leads to a mechanical yet amazing experimental rock record. And all the ambient moments are timed perfectly. This doesn't feel too long. This doesn't feel hopeless. Instead, it feels....

deez nuts