Have a Nice Life - Deathconsciousness
Apr 15, 2021
"This is Deathconsciousness, and it begs the question:
What is the point?"

I still find it hard to believe that an album this good, this detailed, this well-produced, was made by two guys in a bedroom. Yup. And it's their frickin' debut. (I mean, each of them had some earlier projects, but you get the point)

Where should I start? Well, let's start with the things I didn't like so I can get them out of the way and praise the shit out of this record.

First of all, I feel like sometimes the mixing is a bit weird. I get this shoegazy vibe with a "wall of sound" and all, but in some songs the vocals have so many effects on them that you can't really follow if the lyrics aren't in front of you, even tho after a couple of listens the lyrics stand out more. Also, this thing is hella long. And I mean, it's not that it's not worth listening or something, but it is kinda hard to listen the whole record through in one sit. Also, I think that "Who Would Leave Their Son Out in the Sun?" is just an ok track, and I don't really feel any connection to it. I also think that generally the first cd of this double album is better than the second one.

Okay, now to the thing that I like here.

First of all, I absolutely love the vibe of this whole thing. This thing is nihilist, depressed and misanthropic in such a great way. The influences of My Bloody Valentine, Nine Inch Nails and maybe The Cure are pretty strong here, but it doesn't take away from the original sound that HANL created here. And honestly, in its best moments the record feels like a final, last piece of beauty and melancholy before the world ends. A Quick One Before the Eternal Worm Devours Connecticut, if you will. I haven't heard yet any other album that felt like this one.

The instrumental pieces are great (especially the album opener, it's simply beautiful), and they add a lot to the concept of this record. They know how to do amazing build ups, by the way. The songs here are quite long, but it doesn't feel like it because of the way that the song builds up and keeps you interested.

I think that the writing is also great, and if we're talking about writing...well, this record has such an immense, huge, vast mythology surrounding it. Frickin' 70 pages of material that goes along with it. You don't have to read it all (I've only read what was quoted in genius and a few more pages maybe), but it's still amazing that they put that much effort into their music. Anyway, I think that I've said enough, but you gotta give it a listen yourself if you want to truly understand it. I totally think you should try, at least.

Top Three Tracks: I Don't Love, Bloodhail, Hunter (BloodHail and I Don't Love for sure, they both are at least a 9.5 for me. Hunter is great as well, but this one may be replaced by other songs. Probably about as good as Telephony for me.)

Least Fav Track: Who Would Leave Their Son Out in the Sun?

Overall, this album is an impressive piece of melancholic beauty. If you're into this kind of stuff and you're willing to dive into the music, I think you should try it.
Comments
Injury Reserve
By the Time I Get to Phoenix
Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
Taylor Swift - Wildest Dreams (Taylor’s Version)
Wildest Dreams (Taylor’s Version)
Donda