Olivia Rodrigo - SOUR
May 27, 2021
So much hype, goddammit. Yet, it's not a bad album by any means, and it shows a lot of potential in my opinion.

I don't know a lot about Olivia Rodrigo, just the general stuff - she's an actress, that's her debut, she's a Taylor Swift stan, and she broke an all-time record for the highest number of plays a song gets a day on Spotify (excluding holiday songs) with Drivers License, so yeah. A lot of hype.

Okay, so let's start with some problems I've found here. First of all, some songs just have a super generic sound, and I feel like it kinda drags the album down. I don't think that it has to sound super eccentric and weird, but some insturmentals are kinda boring and forgettable (Enough for You and Favorite Crime, for instance). I also find the theme of this album getting kinda repetetive towards its second half (Yeah, he went on after only two weeks, we get it) , and if it was a concept breakup album I wish that there would be a narrative progression (like in IGOR by Tyler, the Creator). And I guess that's it.

Now, as I said before, this album shows a lot of potential. Olivia has great vocals through the whole record, a pretty decent, infectious writing in most of the tracks and in some songs I'd say that even some experimentation. I think that she's still kinda looking for her style musically, since this album has some songs that sound pop-punky (good 4 u) and some unusual tunes (in mainstream pop) - I really like the instrumental progression in Deja Vu, for example. The production is not bad, and I think that there are no terrible songs in here or anything. Nothing that blew my mind either, but I did like some tracks, and generally enjoyed most of the album. I hope that her next project will show improvement.

Top Three Tracks: deja vu, good 4 u, jealousy, jealousy (And yeah, I also like Drivers License a lot, the singles are all good)

Least Fav Track: favorite crime (kinda boring and forgettable)

To sum it up, give a try to the singles, at least. If you like Taylor Swift you'll probably enjoy most of this album as well, so yeah. Feeling a 6.9/10.
Comments