Twenty One Pilots - Scaled And Icy
May 21, 2021
Hmm. That was interesting. I'll tell you what - I appreciate certain aspects of this album, but it's kinda mid+ musically and lyrically. I think that I'm gonna be okay with this album as long as it's only a build up to a better one. Okay, let's get into it.

Scaled and Icy is the Sixth studio album by the duo Twenty One Pilots. and the third in a series of records that created a somewhat unique listening experience, I'd say. Twenty One Pilots created, within those three albums (Blurryface, Trench and now Scaled and Icy) some kind of a universe and a narrative that goes on from album to album. They do a lot of things that add to the story in a cool way, but getting into it will take waaayy too much time.

Anyway, this album is the follow up to Trench, which was honestly kinda great. I had high expectations, but then the singles dropped and they were...okay? Shy Away was cute, Choker had some cool parts and some cringy parts, and Saturday was like Choker in that sense. So, by the time this album came out I was not so hyped as I thought I would be.

So, how good, or how bad, was this album? Well,

Conceptually, it's quite interesting, but only in the context of the whole universe that TOP created. If we're looking on this record only, the concept gets a little dull from time to time. As I said before, it better be a build up to some great follow up :P

Musically, they try new things (as they always do in each new album). It has this pop-rock vibe, and you know, I can vibe to it sometimes. Not a single song here was truly great, but I think that their production is still better than it was 6 years ago, and that's nice. They did some interesting stuff with the production, that sometimes work (like on The Outside) and sometimes falls short (the intro in Saturday or some parts in Redocerate.) Yet, no song here is truly terrible as well, and some of them are quite fun and cute (and work in the context of the TOP universe, too).

Top Three Tracks: Good Day, Formidable, Bounce Man (This album works best in its cute little bops)

Least Fav: Redecorate (The production falls short here, and I think that it's a weak closer, generally)

To sum it up, I don't hate it or anything, but it's kind of a weak follow up to Trench and it has a lot of points where it falls short, and they all add up, so...yeah. I'm okay with this being in the backcground, but I don't think that I really love any aspect of it. Feeling a 6.4 on this one.
Comments
Donda
Baby Keem - The Melodic Blue
Baby Keem
The Melodic Blue
Taylor Swift - Wildest Dreams (Taylor’s Version)
Wildest Dreams (Taylor’s Version)

September 2021 Playlist