Killswitch Engage - Disarm the Descent
Jan 7, 2020
Disarm the Descent is KE’s first album since 2002 with founding vocalist Jesse Leach, and with many long time fans hoping for the best, KE satisfied all expectations. While Howard was helping KE put out their most emotional releases, Jesse comes back they put out their heaviest and most technical release since he left.

I don’t know how much of it has to do with Jesse’s return, but musically, this is the best thing they’ve ever done. The riffs are crushing, fast, technical, and intense. I’ve personally always liked Howard’s albums better, as I prefer his voice, but the incredible instrumentation on this album cannot be denied. Not only are these KE’s best riffs, these are arguably some of the best riffs in melodic metal core as a whole.

Lyrically, the album falls short to what Howard writes. It’s certainly not bad, but I feel Jesse’s lyrics are more open ended and vague, and are undeniably more positive (some may take that as a plus, it’s all a matter of preference). Although there are a few really good lines here and there. Jesse’s cleans are also noticeably weaker than Howard’s, but I get the feeling most fans aren’t in it for the cleans anyway.

But it all comes back to the music. I recommend this to anyone who likes the genre. If you’re a Jesse fan, you won’t be disappointed; if you’re a fan of melodic metalcore, you’ll be blown away.
Comments