Killer Be Killed - Reluctant Hero
Nov 20, 2020 (updated Nov 20, 2020)
HOLY SHITRBHEHDGWGWG

YES THIS WAS ABSOLUTELY WORTH THE SIX YEAR WAIT

I just... oh man. I’ll write a proper review soon, I need to hear this some more..

Edit: okay. I think they’ve solidified themselves as strong and very much useful band in the groove, alt, thrash, and just metal in general, world. A really tight four piece, each member brings something fresh to the table, whether the thunderous vocals from Gone Is Gone, and Mastodon’s very own Troy Sanders, the harsh, groove-meets-thrash harsh-hybrid vocal style from the amazing Max Cavalera of Soulfly/Sepultura/Cavalera Conspiracy, the menacing, unreal screams and loud, ferocious nature of DEP’s Greg Puciato — frantic, unhinged, just absurdly chaotic, and I FWI hard. Greg is having a really fine year imo — whose solo album is perhaps my #1 of 2020 — or Ben Koller, the fantastic drummer from the Metalcore band, and one of the genres best, the wonderful Converge. Honestly, the music is so consistently solid imo, it’s really much like their first but has a more confident sound I feel. And this was produced decently enough, in spite of the fact it’s once again, Nuclear Blast (they’re literally the definition of “it’s fine” metal production), and I think it shows a great display of style and talent, each member keeps up with the other, some shine in certain areas, there’s even a couple standout moments where I was just like “Greg fucking owns this,” “Troy’s vocals are better than ever, what,” shit like that. After waiting six years, in fact that is six and a half I believe, I jumped on this metal sledge the minute it dropped, and now that I’ve listened twice I think I can say this is a top three AOTY for me personally. Is this a masterpiece musically, the highest degree of originality? Nope, but in general, all round, I sure as shit think it is a masterpiece. One or two moments I thought a song or two could have went this way or that way, which would have been, you know, a little better maybe, but there really aren’t many, if any complaints with this, and it might be a step up from their first album. The debut has three of my five favourite songs they have done, but this seemed a lot more consistent and most songs were just straight up sick. It isn’t the heaviest shit since deathgrind but it’ll rip a new hole in your colon, and I think that’s quite something. Is this above all else when it comes to metal? Even still, no. It isn’t, uhh, idk, it’s not Tool.. You know? It isn’t.. it isn’t, like, fucking mind-numbingly crushing, brain-boosting levels of craziness like, say, Opeth, or say.. Leviathan-era Mastodon, but it’s eleven tracks of just solid metal, enough to twist the ears and grind the gears of any metalhead, band-shirt-wearing hipster douche, so indulge while you can and ensure you drink every last leaking, stinking drop. KBK has sold me, they’re phenomenal and I wanna see these guys live. Great musicianship, fine sound, amazing melodies and vocals, catchy, energetic, aggressive, technical, ah yes, it is very much my kind of record; it’s really just a win-win David-AND-Goliath-crusher of an album - rips the shit from front to back and doesn’t miss a single wipe. Yeah dude, metal wins 2020 for me. Well, metal and most metal-orientated music, that is. Absolutely loved this. 98/100 for now.
Comments