Tame Impala - The Slow Rush
Feb 14, 2020 (updated May 10, 2020)
While this isn’t a bad record. this will go down as one of my more disappointing releases of 2020. However, anyone who has been following Kevin Parker for the last 5 or so years saw this coming from a mile away. Since 2012, Tame Impala has moved into a more easy-to-swallow pop friendly sound; and the flavor that once made the band interesting has all but faded at this point.
I wasn’t a huge fan of Currents - the album that Kevin felt pressured to make after years of being compared to John Lennon and the Beatles. And the singles made me super worried, I enjoyed Borderline and portions of Posthumous Forgiveness & It Might Be Time. But Lost in Yesterday was a snoozefest and i just felt like the magic was lost despite Borderline’s brilliance.
Overall, The Slow Rush is okay if you’re a new fan and just looking for some solid vibe music for the club. But it pains Tame Impala stans to see nearly every aspect of what made them amazing be dumbed down in a span of about 6 years. The songwriting is lazy at times, the production is far too clean and compressed for Kevin. Again, not bad; but taking expectations and hype into account, this is probably the worst Tame Impala record since Innerspeaker.

Edit- about 3 months later and man...i just never have a desire to revisit most of this. every other tame impala album has more depth, passion & artistry. weakest release by kevin parker easily.
[hidden]
[hidden]
If a 79 is disappointing, that's a great sign
Feb 14, 2020
While I agree on most points here, I think it's cool to see Kevin taking pop production to new heights and turn even farther away from the guitar based music (we all seemed to enjoy more, however). Development is a natural process for every artist.
EarCandy