Pop Smoke - Shoot for the Stars, Aim for the Moon
Jul 3, 2020 (updated Jul 3, 2020)
4/10 (original score: 6/10)
edit: the more i listen to this, the more it feels like a focus group attempt to get streams, radio play & Grammy nominations.
I’ll start by saying I was not a big fan of Meet the Woo 2...at all. So with a seemingly limitless budget and free reign for producers, this seemed like it had to be better.
And I guess it is a step forward in terms of variation, guest verses & focus.
I was a bit worried going into this. I thought it was just going to be a bunch of Diors but it seems like Pop’s team tried to go in the Mac Miller direction and put as much respect on his legacy as possible.
A few things I did not enjoy about this LP... Quavo misses on every performance except for the title track hook. Swae Lee sounded like he did not want to be there and his vocals just weren’t very good. The second half went in a more R&B direction and while it was sort of pleasant to listen to; it got a bit boring near the end.
Roddy Ricch, Lil Baby, 50 Cent & Lil Tjay had INCREDIBLE features and really helped to break up some of the monotony. There’s no doubt that Pop Smoke could have pushed his way into that new wave with Dababy, Lil Baby & Roddy. His potential is on full display throughout.
Best track: For the Night
Worst track: Diana
Jul 6, 2020
Wrong
Jul 6, 2020
if a album gets streams radio play and grammy nominations, isn't it a successful song