AOTY 2022
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
Aug 29, 2022 (updated Aug 29, 2022)
Black midi before black midi

Holy fuck. Crazy insane guitars? Check. Weird crazy impressive vocals? Check. Godlike drumming? Check. Really unique storytelling and songwriting? Check. Of course I like this shit. For the longest time I’ve been a bit intimidated to check out a full project from The Mars Volta just because I’ve heard bits and pieces before and it’s a lot to handle. I like At The Drive In a lot. I knew a couple songs from the debut and The Bedlam of Goliath but this album is an absolute beast. The amount of technicality in everything they are doing is just fucking insane. The album also flows REALLY well. Like god damn it’s flawless. It’s really satisfying and it gives the album a lot of character. Also who tf is grabbing Cedric’s nuts in the studio lmao. The notes he hits are just fucking insane like WHAT. I think my favorite song has to be Cygnus…Vismud Cygnus. Bruh. This song literally couldn’t be any more mind blowing. It doesn’t feel like a single moment is wasted and every section that it moves to makes the song even better. I also realllllyyy love the beginning guitar part. Soooooo fucking good. The Widow is a song that I think drags a little in the second half but is still a really good follow up. L’Via L’Viaquez is just as insane as the first track, and yea I love it. Miranda That Ghost Isn’t Holy Anymore shows the more subtle side of TMV which is really nice considering the insanity that is the first bit of this album. Now the rest of the album kind of all flows together to me, but it’s all really good. I think my biggest complaint is that sometimes the vocals can be a little much, even though they are impressive. But yeah this album is TOP NOTCH shit. I’m definitely gonna be coming back to this a lot. Thanks as always @Aydn :)

Cygnus…Vismud Cygnus - 10