The Mars Volta - The Mars Volta
Sep 22, 2022
Art Pop..? The Mars Volta..? That’s new

So ummm.. this was a strange comeback. Their first album in I believe 10 years and I’m left wondering how they ended up going in this direction. The only album I’ve heard in full is Frances the Mute, which I think is phenomenal and just insane. I’ve heard quite a few tracks from other albums as well but this is so much different. And let me make it clear, that I don’t think different is a bad thing at all. I love when bands or artists try completely new things, and it’s interesting that they did that here. I just don’t think the execution is as exciting. This isn’t a bad album to me, but just kinda weird and a little forgettable. Like the production is cool at points, but it can also sound flat at others. And the vocals and songwriting are a little strange as well. I think the biggest example of weird vocals are on the songs Vigil and No Case Gain. Vigil sounds kind of awkward and No Case Gain has some really out of place verse segments. And a lot of the album to me is just kind of blank idk. A lot of the songs don’t leave much of an impression, even though they don’t sound bad. I do like the song Graveyard Love. So I mean I’m glad TMV are back because they are a very cool group, but idk if this album is where it’s at.

Blacklight Shine - 7