Cate Le Bon - Reward
Jul 19, 2019
The manager of my college radio station once gushed to me about Cate Le Bon's 'Crab Day' LP, but I hadn't ever sat down with it as Drag City didn't allow their releases to appear on streaming platforms. (At least, that's what my station manager told me.) So, here we are, three years later, and I'm just now spending time with Le Bon. 'Reward' feels like a Mega Bog album, just better; Le Bon's voice plays like Erin Birgy's in an undeniable way for me, but the horns assume a bit of a more 'Kaputt'-era Destroyer-esque vibe.

In any case, 'Reward' is one of those albums on which every track has some tasty gem of sound. While I find myself coming back to 'Home to You' (which has an effin' spellbinding video) and 'Sad Nudes' as standout tracks, this LP invites a nearly seamless, beginning-to-end listen, though I do feel the record loses my attention around "The Light." Beyond this, I'm not sure I would have described the LP as "post-punk" had I not seen the tag on this page, but I'm encouraged to sit with this more and just enjoy the genre-play. (Feeling some Beach House textures on "Here It Comes Again.")
Comments