Gatherers - We Are Alive Beyond Repair
May 19, 2021 (updated May 20, 2021)
"I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)"
- Sylvia Plath (1953) 'Mad Girl's Love Song'

I never thought that anguish and comfort could coexist in the same place, but if I could create a word to define that feeling I would certainly use this album as a direct reference.
'We Are Alive Beyonde Repair' comes abruptly, like a punch in the chest, and shows what it feels like to be frustrated and lost, but at the same time, in the middle of all this mess, can be so delicate and comforting, like a hug after a hard loss.
Gatherers brings impeccable production and an enormous attention to details on their instrumental, balancing very well the heaviest and lightest moments, without leaving aside all the melodic essence of the album. And the vocals here simply gives life to everything what was promised; the vocalist's work is perfect, he mixes very well the heavy and raspy screams with the cleans, which passes all the anger felt and also manages to bring a delicate feeling, and make the whole album much more digestible and catchy, which is surprising.
Such a underrated band and one of my favorite albums.
Comments