Madvillain - Madvillainy
Jul 21, 2019
100th Rating. Woo!
This album did something incredible. It made me like hip-hop. I hate the genre for its repetitiveness, its whiny ass vocalists and the usually terrible lyrics. But hell, I love a lot of this album.
MF Doom certainly has a great voice, with an incredible flow. The other vocalists are quite nice also too, and I even like Quasimoto, even though he can get quite annoying.
The beats are great, and I adored some like "Raid" or "Meat Grinder", and Madlib manages to make even some instrumentals interesting. The sampling is done well, although it can be overdone on some songs which are just samples ("Do Not Fire!" and "The Illest Villains"). I wish there was a bit more of a jazz influence because it's done well on songs like "Rainbows".
At 22 tracks this album flows surprisingly well, and telling different tracks apart, which for me in hip-hop is hard, was incredibly easy. Some of the songs were kind of dull, though,
And I'd be remiss to not mention the impeccable writing of DOOM, and looking at all the rhyming schemes he establishes in almost every song is just breathtaking, and he manages to pack in so many interesting stories into them as well.
Overall, everyone can love this album if I can. It's very entertaining and holds some of the best songs I've heard in the entire genre. I expect this to grow on me as I see more of what this genre holds.
Favourites: Meat Grinder, America's Most Blunted, All Caps, Raid
Least Favourites: The Illest Villains, Do Not Fire!, Great Day
Jul 22, 2019
If this makes you like hip hop, then Piñata will make you LOVE hip hop
Jul 22, 2019