AOTY 2022
Yeule - Glitch Princess
Mar 2, 2022
The music of Singapore-raised artist Yeule (born Nat Ćmiel) is wonderfully both human and artificial on their latest album Glitch Princess. The opening track “My Name Is Nat Ćmiel” serves as a great introduction to the character we get to discover throughout via lyrics that depicts how a virtual world isn’t any better since it still containing most of the darker aspects of the human condition. Yuele’s delicate, yet digitized vocals help to guide us through these experiences, all the while the production can sway from the soft & dreamy qualities of “Electric”, “Eyes” and “Don’t Be So Hard on Your Own Beauty” to the more accessible & driving moments of “Too Dead Inside” and “Bites on My Neck”. Even though I don’t understand the need to include a 4:44 hour long ambient piece to close it out (“The Things They Did for Me Out of Love”), Glitch Princess still amounted to be a great personal introduction to Yeule’s music and one that at times recalls Visions-era Grimes.

Favorite Tracks: Electric, Eyes, Don’t Be So Hard on Your Own Beauty, Too Dead Inside, Bites on My Neck, Friendly Machine

Comments