Rhiannon Giddens With Francesco Turrisi - They're Calling Me Home
May 12, 2021
American folk singer and songwriter Rhiannon Giddens brings out a lot of heart and meaning through her words and the way she delivers them with her striking voice and on her newest venture They’re Calling Me Home, she once again collaborates with multi-instrumentalist Francesco Turrisi to bring us their take on traditional folk and gospel. There are moments here that are mostly instrumental (like a hummed take on the classic “Amazing Grace”), but elsewhere the true power of Giddens voice is felt on choice cuts like “O Death”, “When I Was in My Prime” and “Nenna Nenna”. The arrangements can sway from minimal banjo, fiddle or organ, to a slightly larger presence with big echoing drums, but regardless they tastefully keep the spirit of the songs message intake. With every new release Rhiannon Giddens bring her own experiences to a style that has a lot history in this country and it’s great to see new voices continuing to keep these old musical traditions alive.

Favorite Tracks: Avalon, Si Dolce è'l Tormento, I Shall Not Be Moved, O Death, Nenna Nenna, Amazing Grace
Comments