The Kinks - Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire)
Nov 6, 2021
It really seems like every artists was just at the top of their game in 1969 and UK rockers The Kinks were no different as they delivery yet another masterpiece in the concept work Arthur (Or The Decline and Fall of the British Empire). The album does a good job of splitting its time between taking about the pretty non-existent life of lead character Arthur and other political views aimed toward the British Empire during World War 1. The story building in these songs is just fantastic as Davies is in top form and doesn’t shy away from sharing his true feelings about his homeland. Musically we still find the baroque pop the band has explored in recent efforts (“Shangri-La” is the best at doing this) while also bringing back a lot more uptempo and urgent tracks not the mix (look to great opener “Victoria” or “Brainwashed”) and even start showing a inclination for country western on “Mr. Churchill Says” and the closing title track. Although they released a slew of impressive albums during this strong run, I can undoubtably say that Arthur (Or The Decline and Fall of the British Empire) is my favorite Kinks album and very much worth your time.

Favorite Tracks: Victoria, Yes Sir, No Sir, Drivin’, Brainwashed, Australia, Shangri-La, Mr. Churchill Says, Arthur
Comments