The Kinks - Everybody's in Show-Biz
Nov 12, 2021
On their tenth studio album Everybody’s in Show-Biz, the Kinks continue down their recent country western path and revisit a fictional story of an artists disillusionment with life in the music industry, but it fails to live up to the strength of other recent projects that hit on a similar sound and themes. I do like the inclusion of a rock & roll boogie on tracks like “Here Comes Yet Another Day”, “Unreal Reality” and “You Don't Know My Name”, great ballads expressing remorse on “Sitting in My Hotel” and harsh realities of celebrity life on closer “Celluloid Heroes”, another stab at getting away to tropical sounds on “Supersonic Rocket Ship” and continued inclusion of ragtime elements, but it was really the first time coming across songs I frankly didn’t care (“Hot Potatoes” & “Maximum Consumption”). I did like the inclusion of the live tracks, which showed how well songs from Lola Versus… & Muswell Hillbillies work in front of a crowd ready to sing along. Everybody’s in Show-Biz ends up being a decent album that has it’s moments to cheer for but also some disappointments when compared to past works.

Favorite Tracks: Here Comes Yet Another Day, Unreal Reality, Sitting in My Hotel, You Don't Know My Name, Supersonic Rocket Ship, Celluloid Heroes

Comments