The Kinks - Preservation Act 1
Nov 14, 2021
After the somewhat disappointing Everyone’s in Show-Biz (at least to me it was), Ray Davies and the rest of the Kinks return with the impressive concept rock opera Preservation Act 1. The story introduced throughout these songs isn’t necessarily fleshed out that well (the sequel will do a better job at this), but we still get the jest of how Flash and the rest of the corrupt politicians are trying to swindle the townspeople of their land and demolish everything for their own benefit. The real winning aspect of this album is the music, where it can go from the whimsical opening of “Morning Song” to easy going “Daylight” & “Where Are They Now?”, super charged the energy with great rockers “One of the Survivors” & “Preservation” and revisiting their older winning formula with another ode to laziness in “Sitting in the Mid-Day Sun”. To me Everyone’s in Show-Biz came across as a chore to get there and I’m glad to hear the Kinks create another classic in Preservation Act 1, an album that will warrant and reward future listens.

Favorite Tracks: Daylight, Sweet Lady Genevieve, Where Are They Now?, One of the Survivors, Sitting in the Mid-Day Sun, Demolition, Preservation
Comments