Lil Ugly Mane - Oblivion Access
May 23, 2019
Always a huge thanks to @TreyLikesBands for giving me any recommendation! It's always exciting for me to get a new one so anytime you feel like I should check something out-- I'm all ears!

I've been familiar with Lil Ugly Mane for awhile, mostly because of Mista Thug Isolation but I haven't ever listened to him.

Honestly, the first 5 tracks did absolutely nothing for me.
I didn't think the beats were very good nor did I find Ugly Mane's vocals or lines gripping in any way.

Where things started to turn around for me was the use of Text-to-Speech on Collapse and Appear... I thought that was extremely cool, fun and interesting and was one of the few times on Oblivion Access where I felt the abstract endeavors were well done and payed off.

After that things picked up considerably.
Besides Compliance (which was bordering on a Merzbow song)

Leonard's Lake was a really good instrumental.
Persistence, Drain Counter and Slugs were easily Ugly Mane's best performances on the mic.
and Intent And Purulent Discharge was an intriguing if not mildly harrowing finale.

Overall Oblivion Access is in it's own way, an essential listen.
I've always thought the greatest releases, whether they be movies, TV shows and in this case, music were ones that from person to person would garner wildly different opinions from unabashed love to disgust and hatred or maybe even confusion.
I can say for me personally, this album jumped around from each of those emotions and I still can't pinpoint one that stands out more than the others.
❤️❤️❤️