Denzel Curry & Kenny Beats - UNLOCKED
Feb 7, 2020 (updated Feb 7, 2020)
I'm not going to ride his dick, this thing honestly didn't blow me away. It's pretty good, consistent from front to back but this just feels like an attempt at creating something similar to Madvillainy but they gave up about half way through. It carries a fun vibe with Denzel's relentless rapping, but many songs feel kind of unfinished. The beats are not at all what I expected. I know Kenny Beats as a trap producer and Denzel as a trap rapper but they did a total 180 and made a boom bap EP. The only issue is that some of these beats are just bland and this really does often feel like a bland Madlib. Some are more interesting than others, namely the closer and Track 07 but pretty much everything else is mediocre to decent. Most of these songs are saved by Denzel's charisma and funny one liners but honestly his flows were kind of underwhelming too. Not bad at all, I just feel like I've heard him do these before. He also throws out a lot of super generic and not at all catchy hooks that feel like wastes of time, I'd much prefer 1 nonstop verse on a track. He does occasionally have a fun inflection and his voice is pitched up and down a bunch throughout this which breaks up what could have been very monotonous. Giving more praise to the closer, I love the weird infections Denzel does on here, it reminds me of some manic voice you might here from Ol' Dirty Bastard.
Overall, it's good and it may grow on me but I can't help feeling a bit underwhelmed.
Comments