The 1975 - Notes on a Conditional Form
May 24, 2020
So...I love The 1975 and I have for gonig on six years. When mentally preparing myself for this album, I had no idea what to expect. They delayed it multiple times and it has 22 tracks. TWENTY-TWO TRACKS. Not even a holy grail of artists could pull that off, and not The 1975.

We waited three extra months for this???

This album feels like they recorded everything and decided to not cut anything out. The instrumental tracks feel pointless (even though I know they're not) but they almost sound identical to each other and just pad out the album too much. No album should be the length of most feature films (yes, I know that point is brought up a lot).

Fave tracks: Frail State of Mind, Me & You Together Song, Nothing Revealed / Everything Denied, Tonight (I WIsh I Was Your Boy), and If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know)

I Honestly Have No Idea: What Should I Say (good to listen to during a workout or doing another mundane activity, but not much else)

Least favorites: all of the instrumental tracks that I'm too lazy to name, Yeah I Know (seriously that song sucks a lot), and I Think There's Something You Should Know.

"Playing On My Mind" sounds like a ripoff of "She Lays Down" which is strange because the latter has more emotion behind it while the first covers a variety of topics that feels all over the place.

Matty Healy's outrageous, existential, and vulnerable lyrics are what he and the band does best, and I hope they continue on that path. They should experiment with genre more like they did on this piece as well, because the metal-folk-country-trap-pop-rock smorgasbord they have going on here is really something.

I'd definitely come back to this album, but only for my fave tracks. Inspired by @pipe, here's my aspirational tracklist:

1. The 1975
6. Jesus Christ 2005 God Bless America
7. Roadkill
8. Me & You Together Song
9. Nothing Revealed / Everything Denied
10. Tonight (I I WIsh I Was Your Boy)
11. If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know)
12. Don't Worry