The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium
Oct 15, 2019
I fucking adored Frances the Mute, and I fucking adore De-Loused in the Comatorium.

So let's just jump right in, I know this isn't an NSB album but shush I want to review this album, I've been listening to this album practically non-stop when I'm not listening to NSB or Frances the Mute. This is a really addictive album, and it doesn't help that each song on here is really fucking good. The opening track Son Et Lumière is a short intro, but it's incredibly effective, its slow buildup before quiet vocals, and then... BANG! Into Inertiatic ESP we go, the lead single for the album and one of the best off of here for sure.

From this point on we get banger after banger, every song just keeps on giving and giving, and it feels amazing, every song makes you want to jump up and down and bang your head, it's so much fun. There's so much going on and it all sounds so fucking good. Now this album may have a longer tracklist than Frances it's length is shorter, not by all that much, but this album doesn't have a 32 minute closer, that might be the main reason :). BUT IT DOESN'T NEED A 30 MINUTE CLOSER BECAUSE TAKE THE VEIL mmmmm ok moving on.

I also would love to gush about Cedrick's voice throughout the entire album, GOD can this man sing. He by far has one of the best voices I've ever heard, and each song with his voice is an instant 9, it's just so interesting and exciting to listen to, he can make such long songs so interesting. The instrumentals also compliment this wonderfully with how diverse and just overall how interesting they are, there's so much happening all at once and it feels so good.

As we go through the tracklist we get practically post-rock excellence in each song, everything here seems crafted so meticulously to be almost perfect in every way, you may have noticed, this isn't a 10. Why? Well, I'll tell you. While this album is utterly gorgeous in every aspect, that doesn't stop its faults from shining like a golden head. There are still weak points on this album, there are still points here where I find it lacklustre, there are points here that Frances just does overall better. My biggest gripe with this album is the track Cicatriz ESP (sorry knewnie) while this isn't a bad song, in fact, it's still pretty amazing, my biggest gripe is the middle section, the creepy droning section... it doesn't really work for me. While I get it, and I get it in the context of the album too, but that doesn't make it *sound* good. I want to love this track because the beginning and end is utterly orgasmic, it is only that one section that gripes me.

Other weaker points include track 5 and... that's it actually the rest of this album is pretty much flawless. There are small points of Drunkship that bring it down overall but other than that it's still a great track, overall this is an amazing album that stays solid throughout, hell some of its best tracks appear at the end, making you want to stay. It's energetic, fun, exciting and scary at points, it all works so nicely and definitely paves the way towards their magnum opus, Frances the Mute.

Favourite Tracks: Inertiatic ESP, Roulette Dares (The Haunt Of), Eriatarka, This Apparatus Must be Unearthed, Televators, Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt, Ambuletz

2y
GREAT REVIEW!!!!!! :DD <3333 ill never forgive you.