The 1975 - Being Funny in a Foreign Language
Oct 16, 2022
I will always make it my duty to review the new 1975 album when it releases because I have an urge to pick apart everything Matty Healy does because he’s a pretentious prick and most of his work is as pretentious as he is. But, today something truly special has happened. The 1975 have actually released a good album, a really good album.

Coming from what I can only consider to be their most cluttered, messy, pretentious, annoying and of course longest record, Notes on a Conditional Form, Being Funny in a Foreign Language decides to go in a completely different direction, practically the opposite in fact. This first and probably most important thing to note about this album is its consistency and conciseness. At only 11 tracks this is by far the band’s shortest album and it definitely feels like these songs were actually picked out and put in this order instead of just being vomited into a track list and released with little to no revision like pretty much every one of their other albums.
Each idea presented feels like a fleshed out and realised idea that flows into the next really nicely. Pretty much everything here hits in some capacity. Now this isn't to say this record is perfect, I still think we have a long way to go before we get a perfect 1975 record but they got pretty damn close with a lot of these songs. The majority of the track list are hits; songs such as the opening titular track and Part of the Band are incredibly catchy and still retain that stupid pretentious charm the band have while other songs like Looking For Somebody (To Love) and I'm in Love With You are much, much simpler songs lyrically and really let the band’s sound shine. The production on this album is absolutely sublime and that probably is because of the help of Jack Antonoff who both helped produce the album and also features on the track Part of the Band. You also then have songs like Happiness and About You which are two of the best songs this band have ever made; it's everything I could really want from the band to be honest; it really feels like them in their element.

Happiness is an all round perfect dance track with insatiably catchy lyrics that you can catch onto on your first listen of the song and by the end you're already singing along to the chorus; it's infectious. About You, on the other hand, is a whole other beast and is up there with songs like Somebody Else and If You’re Too Shy (Let Me Know). It's practically a direct musical continuation of Robbers and that's something you should notice immediately but what makes this song truly phenomenal is the production and the atmosphere it creates. This is an incredibly pretty song that you just get lost in. It's noisy, it’s dreamy and it's one of the best songs I've heard all year. It's utterly spellbinding from start to finish. Shoegaze really suits The 1975.

Now as I said already not everything here was a hit and I'm of course going to nitpick because it's a 1975 album. For what it is I would still consider this to be an amazing record especially for their standards but there are still some blunders. The album begins to dip a little in the second half (besides the aforementioned About You) with songs like All I Need to Hear and When We Are Together feeling a little forgettable compared to what's come before it and then there's Wintering which is quite a quick shot in the face not dissimilar to Looking For Somebody (To Love) from earlier, but it doesn't really have the same impact and just sort of just comes and passes. It's one of those songs that you don't really notice has actually played until it's finished. Then there's Human Too which is by far the weakest track on the album. There isn't much more to say about this song other than it's boring and bland; it feels like a Coldplay song, especially in the chorus and I don't mean that in a good way. It doesn't help that this song is preceding possibly the best song the band have ever made (About You); it just feels unnecessary, boring and I just want to get it over with.

Overall verdict? A surprisingly good output from a band I didn't think could get an album above a seven from me. They did pretty much everything they could right on this album and it paid off. I really hope that their next record keeps up this track record and we’ll see even more material like Happiness or About You and not like the entirety NOACF.

Favourite Tracks: The 1975, Happiness, Looking For Somebody (To Love), Part of the Band, Oh Caroline, I'm in Love With You, About You
Least Favourite Tracks: Wintering, Human Too